YAA 300 Hour Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program
Teacher Training Program Overview
The YAA is a non-profit charitable organization that promotes high standards of yoga instruction through a Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program (TTP) as well as Hatha Yoga Teacher Equivalency Certification, which recognizes outside training with equivalent standards.
The YAA TTP is a 300-hour mentorship-based program taken over a minimum of two years, rather than a short-term workshop-based program. Within four months of entry into the program, TTP students will need to choose a YAA Senior Teacher with whom to apprentice, and may also access classes taught by YAA Intermediate Teachers. YAA Teachers can be found on the Find A Teacher page of our website. Some also have websites on our Links page.
The YAA TTP is an adult-based learning program. Students choose from qualified teachers to customize their training according to their own particular needs, schedule, and interests. Under the guidance of a Senior Teacher, the student plans what classes and workshops to take in order to fulfill the curriculum requirements of the program. In Edmonton, TTP classes taught by Senior Teachers are held once a month on a Saturday, 9:30am-3:00pm. They rotate on a two-year schedule and may be started at any time. Senior Teachers in other locations may run their own equivalent classes. The YAA also offers Teaching Skills Workshops and specialized workshops with acclaimed International Teachers. The YAA provides a free listing for events province-wide on the YogaEvents page of our website.
The YAA TTP Application fee is $125. The approximate minimal cost of the classes, workshops, etc. is $4,000. As these costs are paid directly to each class or workshop organizer, they are spread out over the two years or more. Tax receipts are issued for all classes, workshops, etc. taken from the date of registration into the program. Upon completion of the program, there is a final $75 fee for Application for Initial YAA Certification. YAA Membership is required and must remain current.
YAA Certified Hatha Yoga Teachers meet professional upgrading standards and recertify every three years, maintaining active participation in both classes/workshops and teaching hours. This allows for credibility and recognition within professional circles, referrals from health authorities such as Alberta Health Services, and access to community job postings. YAA Certified Teachers may obtain discount insurance rates under the umbrella of the YAA’s insurance policy.
With further training and experience, YAA Certified Teachers may also qualify for 500-Hour Certification, as well as YAA Intermediate Teacher Status (600-hours+) and YAA Senior Teacher Status (800-hours+). Further details can be found on the Recertification page of the website.
The hourly requirements for this Hatha Yoga Teacher Training 300-hour Program are:
- 100 hours of weekly Hatha Yoga classes with Senior Teacher
- 100 hours of Hatha Yoga Workshops including 3 International Teachers and 3 YAA-TTP Teaching Skills Workshops
- 10 hours of Anatomy and Physiology
- 20 hours of Psychology / Philosophy
- 10 hours of Breath Awareness
- 10 hours of Meditation
- 10 hours of Special Concerns & Therapeutic Applications
- 40 hours of Apprenticeship and Supervised Teaching.
- In addition, a student is required to complete 10 written assignments, obtain a CPR certification, and perform an extra 10 hours of karma yoga (volunteer work).
By the end of the YAA Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program (TTP), a student is required to have an understanding of Level One and Level Two Asana / Pranayama Required Practices and is required to be able to teach them safely, in order to be eligible to apply for certification.
Application & Further Information
If you wish to apply for YAA Hatha Yoga Teacher Training Program, please follow the following process:
- To qualify for enrolment in the YAA TTP, applicants must be residents of Alberta, 18 years of age or older, must have already taken a prerequisite of two years of regular yoga classes, and must be familiar with the Level One practices as outlined in Appendix C.
- Download the TTP Application Forms. Submit the completed application form along with details on your prerequisite classes, and a reference letter from your yoga teacher as outlined in the above Guidelines. Documents can be mailed or scanned directly to email@example.com.
- Ensure your YAA Membership is up to date, and submit the $125 Application Fee. YAA membership is required and must remain current throughout your certification. Membership is different from Teacher Certification. Payments may be made online, by cheque, or by credit card through the YAA office.
- Please allow 2-4 weeks for processing your application. The TTP Coordinator will call you regarding your acceptance into the program. Questions can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information:
- Download and refer to the Program Guidelines and appendices (full document including all appendices available here):
Appendix A – Definition of Hatha Yoga
Appendix B – Mission Statement and Code of Ethics
Appendix C – Asana Pranayama Required Practices
Appendix D – Reading List
Appendix E – Expected Effective Teaching Skills (Currently Under Revision)
Appendix G – TTP Certification Forms are used to keep track of your training hours upon entry into the program.
The Excel-Version-Summary-Sheet can be very useful to keep track of your hours if you have Excel. Click here to see an Example Summary Sheet.
- Consult the Coordinator about finding a Senior Teacher or download an article from the Fall 2013 Yoga Bridge: How to Find a Good Teacher. A Senior Teacher should be chosen within 4 months of entering the program. Intermediate Teachers are optional.
- Consult with your Senior Teacher or the Coordinator regarding your class and workshop choices to ensure that you are fulfilling all the requirements of the program. Please check the Events page for information and go to our online store or contact the office to schedule attendance in the YAA Saturday monthly classes, teaching skills workshops, international teacher workshops, anatomy workshops, etc.
Questions can be directed to the TTP & Certification Coordinator at email@example.com